Passport & Visa
Passport Instructions

Generally, to travel abroad you need a passport valid for at least six months after your program end date.

If you do not have a valid passport, you must apply for one immediately. It can take eight weeks or more to receive your passport, so apply for it right away. If the start of your program is less than 90 days away, you will have to pay for expedited service.

The most convenient place to apply for a passport is usually at your local Post Office. You may also apply for a passport at over 4,500 passport acceptance facilities nationwide, including many federal, state and probate courts, some libraries and a number of county and municipal offices.

For U.S. citizens, updated information on passports is available at the Passport Services Office. If you do not have internet access, you may call the passport hotline at (900) 225-5674 (telephone charges apply). Citizens of other countries should contact their appropriate government department or agency for further details on obtaining a passport.

Visa Instructions

If you are studying abroad for more than 90 days, you are REQUIRED by law to obtain a student visa from the country in which you will study.

Here is what you need to do NOW:

  • Make sure that you have a passport that is valid for at least six months after the end of your program (apply to renew your passport if necessary).
  • Choose a link below and thoroughly review the visa instructions for the country you will be visiting.

If you have questions about anything as you apply for your visa, call the country's consulate nearest to you and ask. If any part of your application is incomplete or incorrect, you may not be issued a visa on time or at all.

We cannot stress enough the importance of your IMMEDIATE attention to this matter!